The Hokage was still away from Konoha for official business. He left the village in the hands of his most trusted shinobis to protect and to keep the peace, but some trouble is brewing just around the corner.

The day before, a storm passed through the village. It was rainy and gloomy throughout the day. The next morning, the sun came out and the clouds were swept away, but the ground was still wet and muddy. Diep was in the office early in the morning taking care of last minute preparations for the Hokage’s schedule. The planner held everything from events, dates, projects, and missions. Thus, it it vital to keep it on hand. She finished penciling in Naruto’s plans and closed the planner. A gust of wind knocked some documents and she was left on the floor to pick them up. At that moment, a mischievous monkey climbed onto the roof of the office and entered the office. The monkey was attracted to the shinning seal of the Hokage on the planner and decided to take it. Diep looked up just in time to see the monkey run off with the planner. She swore and gave chase to the monkey jumping out the window after it.

From below the office Atsuko and Tsuki sees a monkey jump out of the window and head towards the direction of the forest. Shortly after, they see Diep emerging from the window about to jump. “DIEP” Both girls yell out. It startled her and she fell into a mud puddle instead of sticking her landing. They help her up as she wipes off the mud that’s now all over while asking what she’s doing. She explains that she needs to go after the monkey that ran out the window. It took something important from her.

Yoki is chilling around town when all of a sudden she sees a monkey run by. Curious thing, but she pays no attention as she was heading to see Diep for more ramen coupons. Konan came by to visit Konoha on business and runs right into the monkey. She notices the planner with the Hokage’s seal and within that second, she caught the monkey along with the planner. She remembered that the planner is usually carried by Diep and decided to return it to her. Just as security, she took the suspiciously mischievous monkey along so she wouldn’t be blamed for the incident. On her way to the office she runs into Kushina. Kushina was out in town looking for lunch to grab for Minato, Boruto, and Himawari. She was taking care of the kids since their parents were still away on business. Kushina notices Konan and the monkey and asks what brings the two into town. Konan explains how she was here for business and came across the monkey with Diep’s planner. The two head on out to return it to her.

Atsuko and Tsuki left Diep promising to ask around if anyone has seen the monkey. After a few “no”s they ran into Yoki. She was coming from the office dejected that no one was there and that she wasn’t getting her free lunch. They explained to Yoki about the monkey only to find out that she saw it about half an hour ago. It was probably long gone by now. They decided to give up on the search and to train in the forest. The three decided it would be a good to brush up and hone their skills and techniques. As they walked the forest trail, they found Yui and Riku already training in a clearing. The three decided it would be fun to join them and train as well.

Diep is left scanning the town for anyone who has seen the monkey. She was hot on its trail until all of a sudden, no one saw it anymore. She came to a dead end. Diep sat down in the middle of the street and laid down in desperation and started to mope. She stared at the sky when a group of kids came up to her. “Onee-san. What are you doing on the ground? Is this a new game?” They joined her on the ground and stared at the sky. “No…I just lost something really important. The Hokage is going to fire me now. Can you kids get me a taiyaki from over there?” She asks as she rolls around on the ground. Kushina, Konan, and the monkey continue walking through the market on their way to the Hokage’s office when they overhear some of the villagers talking. “Poor Diep, she’s just laying there.” They hear this and turn to see a spectacular sight. Diep was rolling on the ground hopelessly. They approach her and try to console her. She was blabbering non-sense when Konan started to explain that she found the Hokage’s planner along with the monkey. She was relieved to see the planner one second, and the next, she was ready to kill the monkey; all the trouble he caused her. Mieko was walking down the street just back from a mission. She came to ask what the commotion was all about when she realized that her monkey was hanging around. The monkey belong to her. She skedaddled with the monkey before Diep exploded again. Kushina continued her search for lunch while Diep and Konan headed back to the office.

The forest was lively with a bunch of different ninjutsu thrown by our five shinobi training. It was Atsuko against Yoki, Tsuki and Yui, with Riku interjecting here and there. After a few minutes, they interchanged partners and continued their training. The training was going well until one of the techniques went out of control. A fire jutsu was thrown and the tree caught on fire. The fire spread quickly without much time to react. Tsuki, Atsuko, and Yui were able to back away before the flames circled off and enclosed Yoki and Riku. Yui dashed away trying to avoid any oncoming trouble, Tsuki ran off to get help, and Atsuko stayed behind trying to put out the fire and rescue Yoki and Riku. The flames grew bigger and Yoki started to panic. Riku was trying to fan the flames out to no avail. Yoki’s vision blurred and she slumped down to the ground. Riku realizes this and tries to slap her awake but it’s not effective.

Diep was back at the office relieved that the Hokage’s planner was back in her hands when suddenly the door burst open. It was Tsuki. She explained the situation and how the forest fire was spreading quickly. Diep sent word out to ask those free to help contain the fire while another squad kept the citizens at bay. Back at home, Kushina heard there was a commotion near the forest from Minato. Apparently there was a forest fire and a distress call was sent to those that are able went to help put it out. Kushina decided to seek out Diep to figure out what occurred.  She found Diep in one of the clearings using a fire extinguisher to put out a massive fire. It didn’t work as well as the water ninjutsu that others were using. Once the fire was a dull roar, Diep and Kushina left the scene to inspect the cause and damage done.

They came to the clearing where Atsuko was still trying to put out the fire. Yoki and Riku were still engulfed in the flames. They moved quickly to put out the fire, and when they did, they rushed to aid Yoki and Riku. Riku was coughing due to inhaling too much smoke, but he was fine. Yoki on the other hand took on a few burns. Diep sent Tsuki to call out for anyone from the medical division to help while Atsuko explained what happened. Those present were training and fooling around until it became tense between her and Yoki. Atsuko accidentally struck Yoki right before the fire occurred and thus, left her unconscious. Tsuki and Sakura arrived shortly after and attempted to heal Yoki. At first it seemed as if Yoki sustained 3rd degree burns, but after a few minutes the appearance of the wounds faded as if the illusion was broken. It was a strange occurrence, Yoki wasn’t hurt at all, she just fell unconscious from the hit earlier. Diep had Sakura and Kushina bring everyone to the medical center for a check-up to ensure everyone was alright while she went back to those putting out the second fire.

Rinu was coming back from a mission and saw a huge commotion coming from the forest. As he headed towards the forest, he crossed paths with Yui. She seemed to be panicky and running away from the source of the commotion. He decided to tail her and see what she was up to. Rinu was following Yui at a distance and when she suddenly passed out from exhaustion, he caught her and transported her to the hospital. Once he dropped her off, he went on to find the others.

Those at the second fire finally snuffed it out and gave a report to Diep. The fire was contained and minimal damage was done. The source of the fire was still unknown. At that moment, Konan came by to see if she could help. She offered to send her paper scouts to maximize the search  while the three went off searching for the source of the fires.

Konoha’s medical center:
Yoki was still unconscious. The hit she received wasn’t what knocked her out. She took the blow from Atsuko just fine, but the moment she was surrounded by fire her mind blanked out. It triggered a memory from her past, one that was too painful that her body locked up and to protect herself and her mind shut down.

Back to the scene of the fire. Konan’s paper scouts returned with a mirror-like shard. It was clear, transparent, and reflected well. Her paper scouts led Konan and Diep further into the forest. When they arrived at the source, Konan pointed out that her paper scouts found the shard near the bottom of a few trees. Another messenger bird flew by. Konan was being called back to Amegakure and had to leave. She bid Diep farewell and to call on her if she needed any other help. On closer inspection, Diep figured out how a fake fire was created. She took this new information with her back to the office. Before she could conclude anything, she had to make sure her hunch was correct. She believed that there was two separate fires: there was a real fire and a fake one. Both fires took place, but one was made to look larger using smoke and mirrors.

OVA 3 ends with a lot of questions unanswered. How in the world did Mieko get a monkey? Who started the second forest fire and how exactly did they do it? Will Yoki wake up soon? Will we find out more about her past? Is there a connection between Yoki and the forest fire? Find out next time!

*Prequel to OVA 3 is Episode 3. The continuation and answers to our questions can be found in Episode 4.


Summary written by [忍] Diep